, , , , , , , ,

German Diaries: Winter Walks in Germany

Thursday, December 24, 2015






Winter months don't guarantee snow in Germany, but regardless of the month it is guaranteed you'll find locals walking the trails trickling the hillsides of Germany. On cold days I'm tempted to stay indoors and snuggle up with a good book or movie, but then I see how the light is touching the hillside and the photographer in me is quickly stuffing on my boots. When it comes to exploring nature Alexa is a very willing companion. Like a true German she embraces the elements and refuses to be kept from going outside. She is not deterred in the slightest by cold or frigid weather and I too find that escaping for a walk during winter in the countryside is exactly what my mind and lungs needed.

Sometimes I plan a hike, but most days Alexa and I never know where we'll go or what we'll see. We just grab our coats and drive until we see an interesting trail or landscape. This week we tried a trail above Queidersbach that we frequently pass on our way to Kaiserslautern. Most of it was paved, but a small stretch turned into dirt and gravel and I enjoyed watching Alexa daintily try, in over-sized boots, to step around every pebble in her path.
Even without snow during the holidays, I find Germany breathtaking. Coming from a very dry place like Idaho it's odd to see everything so green during winter! I don't think anything ever stops growing here and neither it seems, does my fondness for this country.

♥ Tanae

You Might Also Like

0 Kommentare